Skip to main content Accessibility Statement

The fees set by colleges vary. Costs may also change from year to year.

It's important to think carefully about your finances and make sure you research costs before you enrol on an Access to HE course. As well as the course fees, you should think about implications for your own living costs, perhaps including childcare and travel, and any course-related costs such as books and equipment. If you are claiming job-related benefits, you should also seek further advice.

It is essential to contact the Access to HE course provider for information about their charges and how they will apply to you. They will also be able to direct you to sources of more information about the implications for your own individual position, including information about study hours, which you may need to consider if you are intending to continue working while you study.

We do not hold information about fees charged by different colleges or other charges, or any financial support that individual colleges may be able to offer students.

Course fees and loans

Access to HE courses delivered by colleges in England and approved for public funding are co-funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency.

If you are aged 19 or over you may be expected to pay full fees, but in England you will be able to apply for a loan under the Government's Advanced Learning Loans Scheme to cover the cost of these fees. Loan repayments start when you earn over £25,000 per year. 


However, if you complete a QAA-recognised Access to HE course and then go on and complete a degree or other recognised higher education course, you won't have to repay the remaining loan for the Access to HE course. However, you may be paying the loan back while you study if you are still working if you earn more than £25,000 per year.


We have published a short video explaining all about the Advanced Leaner Loan and how Access to HE Students can apply. There is also more information on Advanced Learning Loans and repayment arrangements on the Government website.

If you are a member of the Armed Services, you may also be able to use enhanced learning credits towards the tuition fees for an Access to HE Diploma under the ELCAS scheme. Some service leavers may also be able to use the publicly-funded further/higher education scheme to pay for an Access to HE Diploma which is immediately followed by a degree or other higher education course. Service education officers or transition staff should be able to help you choose the best route.