Quality and the new Diploma: it’s everybody’s business (or - ‘ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it’)
Wednesday 9 April 2014
University of Derby
It is widely suggested that quality is a journey, not a destination. This is a quest in which we are all participants; from the Access to HE team at QAA to every tutor working directly with students.
This year's conference examined the significance of this theme for the key aims of Access to HE Diplomas: to create opportunities for students to develop essential personal and academic skills and acquire appropriate academic knowledge. Delegates had the opportunity to consider practical yet effective approaches to planning, teaching and assessment, and to think afresh about their own contribution to the continuous improvement of quality.
Topics discussed included:
- planning your Access to HE programme to ensure coherence and progressive support for learning
- effectively supporting students to develop and embed study skills
- getting the most out of moderation as a two-way process
- developing assignments that maximise learning while streamlining assessment
- engaging with students as learners and customers
- stimulating student collaborative learning through the creative use of virtual platforms.